July 12, 2009

Tourist in Baltimore Again



The portico and the upstairs was about what you'd expect. The guide had mentioned the walls are solid masonry and plaster and Carroll had European masons build the structure that way to keep it cool in the summers. I was thinking it was really cool in the building since it's July but then I realized I was standing under a HVAC vent. Clearly there was some retro-fitting that occurred since 1760.

In the master bedroom, the guide was sure to point out he handmade the gentleman's wig on the dressing table. He mentioned that if he wanted to wear it, he would. This lead me off on a sick mental tangent of the guide romping around the house in a powdered wig and period clothing so I missed most of the discussion for the remainder of the upstairs.

However, I did catch that in the guide's opinion, the trundle key in the guest room was made of "cheap ass pine." I love a little profanity with my tours.

No comments:

Post a Comment