July 16, 2009

C's Sea Glass Skeleton

C claims he has no artistic ability.

Earlier this week I walk into the basement and find this on the sink. There was a pile of sea glass we collected in Oxford (10/2007) sitting on the sink for months and he made this.

When I asked him about it he said he was on the phone and he had been putting the glass on his palm and came up with the idea.

I asked him how he would like to mount it. He brushed it off. I am undeterred. It will be mounted.

This is beautiful. Leave it to a scientist to create something so elemental, practical, beautiful, and just a little mysterious and chilling.

I think C, like most of us, have many extraordinary talents that are just waiting to be discovered, nurtured, encouraged, revealed.

In creating something, you offer up a bit of yourself - or a lot. When you chose to share it, you are by extension offering yourself up for an unknown response/reaction. If your art is not well received, you might feel rejection and insecurity on a visceral level.

We must not be afraid of this. We should embrace criticism. We should believe in ourselves and our art. . .Know that no matter how scary it might seem to offer all you have - in art, life, love, whatever you're passionate about - the scarier, less fulfilling scenario is to hold back, pull back, be reserved, lament, and regret.

Tomorrow is fast approaching. Will you be more honest and more fearless?

I know I will try.

Rip off that rear-view mirror and NOW live, give, forgive, believe, laugh, love.

1 comment:

  1. Tell C that his art is kick ass. I know how he feels though it is very easy for me to appreciate other people's creations, but i often can see my own as mundane or simplistic. Get him talking on the phone more!!!

    ReplyDelete