July 12, 2009

Tourist in Baltimore Again



So we moved back downstairs to the dining room. There was some more rambling on the guide's part and I was just itching to get out of there. I did get to see a "silver locker." Which apparently was used to lock away your silver in the event your help or relatives of ill repute wanted to steal your silverware. The guide was also sure to point out the painting of Carroll above the mantle was "cheap" as he had his one hand hidden - hands cost more to paint. Additionally, there was a portrait of Ann Tilghman in the room. She's not a "real" Ann according to the guide as she married into the family. (WTF?). There was also a little more profanity in this room but C and I can't seem to remember the exact line.

From there we moved into a "gift shop space" where the guide mentioned he was an "ornamentalist by habit" and made the keep sake boxes on display with automotive enamel. I'm completely interested in handmade items but I was so put out at this point, I had no attention span left.

We went through the kitchen - which was attached to the house and we got to see some sort of iron "toaster" that sits on the floor and you can "kick" with your foot to rotate the toast closer to the fire for even toasting. Why on earth you'd want to kick your toast with your shoes is beyond me but I guess it was likely state of the art in the period.

You get to leave through the kitchen door. . .And that is one hour and twenty minutes we'll never get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment