June 11, 2009

R's Request for Interior Inspiration 14

First of all, the hutch tends to be dark. So I purchased some wall paper. I cut it to size (which I suck at and it took forever and still isn't quite right). I used some little donuts of blue painters tape to affix the paper to the back. (I wouldn't want to ming up such an important piece by permanently affixing the wall paper).

You can do this with any shelf. You could also paint the backside a contrasting color or line it with fabric. If you find a piece that has the back missing, that's ok too so long as it's not too wobbly. Your wall can peek through.

I found a couple of battery operated Velcro/adhesive under shelf lights and viola I was ready to jam the thing full of dust collectors. . .

Some china cups and saucers my Mom bought me. Little glass punch cups and "snack trays" I found at a flea market, some well loved books. . .

Champagne flutes. . .A couple of the flutes are Tiffany flutes a good friend purchased us for our engagement. The rest cost about a buck a pop. This is kinda' "overflow storage." To make sure the glass doesn't "disappear" I filled some of them with corks and clear glass marbles.

The other bizarre item is the framed football pic. . .That's Chris Baker the touchdown maker. An autographed pic one of C's good friends gave him. I had relegated it to the basement for the longest time. C's initial request was that we display it in the bedroom. I figured the main floor was middle ground. Honestly, with the doors shut, you barely notice!

There's a bunch of other random garbage in there too. . .Some pine cones I got at a craft store. I tipped their edges in gold leaf. They are Christmas tree decorations but I didn't have room to store them all with the holiday stuff so I left them out. A few shells. . .a porcelain bird I found on clearance at Target. . .

Complete randomness unified by my fondness of it all. . .Yeeeeeesssss. . .Even Chris Baker!

1 comment:

  1. You could also use a piece like this more as a working home office. In the hutch, you could install cork tiles or paint the back with chalkboard paint (it comes in all colors now or make your own). You could also retro-fit another type of large cabinetry to serve the same purpose. There is no limit - outfit a small closet, etc. It's important to have a nice space to work, write, pay bills, journal - it doesn't have to be a big majestic den or office - just make it your own.

    ReplyDelete