June 11, 2009

R's Request for Interior Inspiration 1

Ok. This is a hot mess. hahaha!!! This is the stairway leading from the main level to the basement. (Notice the baby gate in the lower right. . .yes we have no children. We do however, have dogs.)

Stairways are a wonderful place to hang a bunch of crap that people can continually knock crooked all the day long on their trips up and down the stairs. Notice we've taken full advantage.

I've heard a lot of folks recommend using frames of all one finish to "unify" a grouping of pictures/art/etc. Clearly, I haven't embraced it. If you like that look, use it. If you like a little disorder with your order use frames you like. . .But repeat a little. You see that prominent white frame in the middle bottom? Sticks out like a sore thumb right? I have plans to relocate it. It's been there a while and I thought it might grow on me but it has not.

You'll also notice that there's an awkward space between that "white elephant" and the frame to it's immediate left. And this does illustrate a valuable point: You need a plan if you're going to create this kind of organized chaos. I had planned well until I thought it was a good idea to hang the white frame. I have another frame that will fill the area better and be less obvious. . .Maybe next weekend!

In terms of designing your wall art, there is often talk about lying it all over the floor over reams of brown craft paper. You then trace the art, cut the shapes out of the paper and you have the ability to move the paper around until you find an arrangement you like.

That's not how I roll (get it roll out craft paper? That was a corny C comment). I'll hang something and maybe another. . .Then a few hours, days, or weeks later, I'll find another thing to add. It's like a puzzle.

What if you eff it up you ask? How could you? Just find something to cover the hole in the wall before your husband or landlord finds it!!

What's in all those frames? A whole lot of stuff some folks would consider trash - or at the very least not worthy of a frame. Loosen up. I'll elaborate in the next post. (The anticipation is nearly palpable.)

1 comment:

  1. Stairway wall art....a particular stairway In Hdon comes to mind

    ReplyDelete