September 09, 2009

Could this Work? The Ordinary Angels Photo Campaign




Both sides of my family has been affected by cancer recently. I'm always happy to help a worthwhile cause and I'm particularly fond of Relay for Life.

This evening I've been wondering what would happen if I used several pics of the angel statues I took recently and created a limited series of prints that I could sell with a very generous percent of the proceeds going to Relay for Life? (I could price them so the prints covered only my costs to frame or mat. I would consider donating the actual prints - or a portion of the cost, depending on the number).

Now I realize these pics were taken in a cemetery - which might be a little odd in terms of supporting a cause like Relay for Life - but they aren't morbid and they do not necessarily look like memorial markers. They are beautiful pieces of weathered sculpture.

I'm not sure what kind of demand this might generate so I'm not sure how many prints I should limit it to - 25? 75? 100? As with anything, the key is marketing/audience.

What would I call this limited series? I was thinking something like "Ordinary Angels." The idea revolves around caring people that like art, support worthwhile causes, support their communities, love and respect their neighbors, and have big hearts. . .making ordinary life exceptionally enjoyable and at times demonstrating life is truly extraordinary. (Has this been done before? We all know I have barely an original thought ever - haha).

Is it presumptuous of me to think I could sell a series of photographs when I have no training taking photographs and I have zero reputation as a photographer? You call it presumptuous, I'd rather think of it as being fearless and believing in myself.

Maybe I do a few samples. . .See what the Relay Team thinks and then we can determine if it's a viable option. If they think it's viable, then I'll have a better idea about demand, setting the number of prints, etc.

Maybe I sit here and do nothing. Maybe all the pics I take sit gathering dust neatly catalogued in archival boxes.

I'm not exactly the sit around do nothing type. No harm ever came from trying. . .Well, unless you try that poisonous sea urchin sushi and it wasn't prepared correctly. . .

1 comment:

  1. i think it is a great idea! i could do something to help too like my windows or possibly something new! we should talk to mom and see what her team thinks of the idea! D

    ReplyDelete