September 08, 2009

Labor Day #45



Honey Bee. . .Respect and Protect our pollinators!!!! Pleased with this picture. It makes traipsing through "wilderness" in my Havaianas worth it.

For me, the best thing about photography is the way it forces me to appreciate things. It opens so many more windows on the world. Things we deem ordinary or might even miss, can become extraordinary with the right use of timing, shutter speed, and light. It reminds me to slow down and pay attention. It's a good life lesson.

I spent a great deal of time earlier today worried about whether I'd have a job in another week or so. Seeing these pictures makes me realize there are so many more fascinating things to ponder.

If I continue to be gainfully employed at my current position, I'll be grateful. If things don't work out that way, I'll be grateful for new opportunities. Life is too short to be continually nervous, agitated, worried, scared, over-stimulated and self involved.

I think our society suffers a great deal from being exactly that: nervous, agitated, worried, over-stimulated, self involved, even scared. The media preys on it and feeds it. I think parents and teachers unintentionally foster it. We continue to preach and teach everyone is a winner in an economy of capitalism and a society that clearly better rewards individuals that are more successful, creative, resourceful. Society offers a great deal of pressure and negativity and far too little in terms of coping skills and genuine encouragement.

Depressed? Take a pill.
Can't sleep? There's a pill for that too.
Can't focus? You must have ADD.

We want quick fixes and easy answers.

At what cost?

No comments:

Post a Comment