November 12, 2009

Greetings from Salisbury

Where the remnants of a tropical storm front are moving through making things rather miserable weather-wise. A. It's freaking cold and raw B. Its raining a lot and C. It's windy as anything

We stayed at a Marriott in Salisbury last evening since we thought dinner might be a little late. Headed to Cambridge today.

This place is fine. It's one of those places that seem geared towards serving the business traveler. Not sure about what kind of business travel one might do in Salisbury? Poultry execs perhaps?

At any rate, the alarm on my phone went off at 6:10. This was disorienting as I couldn't figure out why the alarm was going off on a weekend. Took me about 10 minutes to realize it's Thursday. I'm not very sharp in the mornings.

I also couldn't figure out why I couldn't fall immediately back to sleep as typically happens on weekday mornings. The lack of the alarm continuing to go off every 5 minutes for another hour was throwing me maybe? I didn't fall asleep until after 2. I should have been good until at least 7.

Then I realized there was an odor. It wasn't the closet - which btw reeks so badly of foot odor, I was afraid to hang my coat in it. . .It was bacon.
Somehow the stench of bacon was wafting from the continental breakfast set up in the lobby to our room.

Since we stopped eating meat several years ago, I find the smell of meat raw or cooking rather noxious. Bacon is okay in the bacon mixed with coffee and syrup smells in a diner context. But in a hotel at 6 AM with no other complimentary smells, I find it a little gross.

So I'm awake bumping around because I'm very awful at just sitting or lying quietly. C is doing his best to ignore me and continues to sleep. He is a morning person and is always awake before me so I'm not really used to having to wait for someone else before I start my day. It's different - esp in a hotel room. I have limited options to amuse myself while he sleeps.

Finished a good novel by Nick Hornsby called Juliet Naked. We'll have stop at a bookstore since I didn't prepare or bring my Kindle and it looks as if I'll have plenty of reading time given the weather. I also didn't bring my sketch pad which was more being too lazy to properly pack the charcoals than oversight on my part. Other things I anticipate I should have packed? Socks and wellies.

Its a shame really that I'm wide awake and could be snapping sunrise pics at Blackwater Wildlife Refuge but its so vile outside the pics would likely turn out gray and soggy looking.

I guess I'll just turn on "Delmarva's New Leader" and check out the WSJ online and wait. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment