November 14, 2009

First Mason Dixon Marker #92



So from my contemporaneous posts, you'll recall the weather was brutal. At times the wind was driving the rain "down" at a 45 degree angle or better. It was obnoxious. But since we purchased that excellent "gear" at Target, we decided to put it to use. So we drove all over the place between Salisbury and Cambridge looking at points of interest. Here's the first Mason Dixon marker. It's situated on the MD Delaware line.

For reasons unknown to us, people try to toss pennies on the tops of the markers. This seems like a challenge in good weather. C foolishly attempts it in 35 mph winds. I admire his determination. And why did he have all those pennies in his pocket? He must have tried 15 or 20 times. The phrase "a fool and his money are easily parted" comes to mind. Not because I think my husband a fool, and not because 20 cents is significant. Mostly because he's standing in a downgraded tropical storm much longer than necessary.

In the foreground you can see the water pooling over the walkway. Wretched, wretched weather! I suspect this will be the trip of regrets about pics not taken. Had I had half my wits about me, I would have focused more on the foreground and would have taken more detailed shots of the leaves in the water and the way the water ripples as the rain hits it. Is it croppable? Even if it is, I could have done better.

No comments:

Post a Comment