April 01, 2009

This is going to sound bitchy but. . .

What the hell is up with divorce parties?

I consider myself a relatively liberal, open-minded person. I still don't understand why someone would want to celebrate their divorce. I def. get that it must be great to finally be done with the drawn-out legal process.

I would consider myself 3 or 7 steps to the left of moderate, I'm a lawyer by education, I have a predominately Irish lineage, I'm typically a party for any reason and at all costs type gal.

But I don't understand a divorce party.

I'm not sure if this is something that only children of divorce find offensive? Maybe I'm being overly sensitive?

I just know that when I said my vows with C, it never once crossed my mind that divorce was an option. It was something I thought about a lot after my own parents divorce. Their divorce has led me down roads I never thought I'd ever travel. . .which is good in many regards and painful in others.

I understand people change and things happen and sometimes divorce is the right thing (it was for my parents). But do we need to celebrate that? Should we be celebrating the demise of one of the last institutions in our society that is supposed to be steadfast, solid, and sacred?

I'm not religious, I'm not even a Republican. I barely know my ass from my elbow on a daily basis. But it seems inherently wrong to me to celebrate (at least in such an unabashed way) an unfortunate situation.

If you have a divorce party, does that in some way mean you are toasting your own failures, short-comings?

I'm not sure. The same way I'm not sure if it's ok to ask for the damned wedding gift I gave them back? Or at least half?

A 50% return is pretty freaking good - esp. in this economy.

I guess the bottom line is, if you are having drinks because your divorce is final, count me in. If you are throwing a party because your divorce is final, I might attend - but don't even think for a split second I'm not judging you for it. . .and wondering where the eff my wedding gift to you is located so I can repo it without your knowledge or consent because someone at Goodwill or the Salvation Army who is happily married will effing love your never-used bread machine!

No comments:

Post a Comment