March 04, 2009

Sure Cure for Mid Week Beat Down

Things have been particularly brutal for several months in my office. I work in a sales environment that is continually flooded with up to the nanosecond "breaking news." It's really difficult to remain positive with the continual influx of doomsday predictions. I'd like to think I do pretty well but the truth is I have to work really hard to remain positive and focused on brighter times ahead.

Recently, I've made a concerted effort to literally see things differently. I mean really look at something. To be more observant and to appreciate things. I started painting (trying to paint that is) recently and am quite curious about photography and I think these hobbies can help me look at something in a fresh way.

It helps me be more aware and less self centered. In turn, I it makes me feel more positive and maybe even more grateful.

This evening I didn't have to remind myself how fortunate I am. I had to look no further than the next block over. Some one's rowhouse had caught fire and there were trucks and ladders and people everywhere. From what I could see (although I didn't want to gawk), the house was by no means completely destroyed. Still, the water damage could be horrific. I will be thinking of our neighbors and hope they were properly insured and recover quickly.

C was less affected. . .

d "Did you see all the fire trucks?"
C (Engrossed in yet another Scrubs re-run) "Yep."
d "What happened?"
C "Someone's rowhouse burned down."
d "It didn't burn down. It's still there."
C "Ok someone's rowhouse caught fire. How's that?"
d "I hope they're ok and they didn't have pets."
C "Maybe they want some new pets. . ." (Glaring at Tilghman who once again pooped in the basement).

No comments:

Post a Comment