March 07, 2009

Am I Officially Old? Opinion

Spoke at length this evening with a dear friend who is a teacher. We discussed what I've been bitching and moaning about since we knew one another in college 10 years ago - McDonald's mentality:

You want it handed to you, in 30 seconds, and you don't care about quality. You want it - instant gratification.

Seems we've gone a step further according to him, we have moved into nearly complete sloth. We don't care to think for ourselves any longer, the only opinions that matter are superficial - who wears what. . .

Most disturbing of all to me: The parents perpetuate this. The parents seems to reinforce the work at a mediocre level and still hope to earn an A. The parents seem to think nothing of challenging the teacher about grading either.

I know it seems ridiculous that I'm concerned about this seeing as how I have no children. But I don't understand how we can allow our children to stare at TVs and computers like zombies. I don't understand how we put a premium on their accounts of scholastic injustice without giving weight to what their teacher says. . .I don't understand why we can't shift athe paradigm back to one of work hard and you'll excel. Earn it.

There is a whole lot of not earning it going round. There is a whole lot of not understanding how to be a good winner or loser going round.

My thoughts: You want to fix this? Don't slack with your children. Don't slack with yourself. Have a realistic point of view. Learn it and earn it. Be passionate about it. Give it. Justify your existence and make your mark!

No comments:

Post a Comment