March 04, 2009

Fav Book of the Week!

I'm not Oprah. . .BUT A co-worker loaned me Eric Clapton's autobiography appropriately titled Clapton earlier this week and I read it last night. It (pardon the pun) ROCKS.

First of all, I knew about Clapton but I never knew about Clapton.

In the book he is very reflective and I believe honest. He doesn't sugar coat things. There were moments when I felt very sympathetic towards him but not because he made himself out to be a victim.

He cops to a huge ego, a tortured soul, and being chauvinistic and selfish in his earlier years. And he very wisely touches on what was driving his behaviors in a genuine and realistic fashion. You get to see Clapton in a way that Clapton often viewed Clapton - sometimes near-god, sometimes wholly unworthy and inadequate, sometimes literally on his knees. . .(beggin' Laaaaay-laaaaaa)

I also thoroughly enjoyed hearing about the music scene in England in the early-mid 60s as well as all the musicians that inspired him. There were a lot of musicians that I had never heard of before referenced.

He's had an amazing life but he doesn't brag either. He's forthcoming, self critical, and apologetic with regard to his partying, addictions, and womanizing.

I would have never in a million years sought out this book or probably even looked twice at it in the library. . .but I'm so glad I had the chance to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment