March 30, 2010

Obligations? Or Not?

I've been rolling around something. . .It's part of a quote and I could Google it and get it right but (and I will follow up) but here's the part that is stuck in my head and heart this evening: "With great knowledge, comes great responsibility."

I have a law degree. I even passed the Maryland Bar on the first try. I've never practiced. When people ask if I'm a lawyer, I tell them "by education."

But folks come to me with all sorts of questions and problems and sometimes without the financial resources necessary to help themselves. Up until now, I'll do a little research, I'll make a few phone calls. . .but I remain detached.

And why?

These are folks that I know and love. These are folks that need help - that need an advocate.

Maybe for that fact? Maybe I don't want to "meddle." Maybe I know it could end badly? Maybe because I don't have any real desire to practice law? Maybe because I know with the schedule I keep already, I don't have enough time to dedicate to fully researching a solution?

BUT. . .Does any of that excuse me? Am I somehow morally obligated to do more? I know I'm compliant within the codes of professional conduct. . .But am I morally obligated by my education and knowledge (which isn't all that "great" BTW hahaha) to do more?

I don't want to practice law in the traditional sense. . .at least not now. BUT I definitely want to help people as best as I can. . .always.

So here I am once again in a bit of a dilemma. Creative helpful d? or Practical helpful d? I'm hoping I don't have to choose one exclusively. And I'm hoping those that request or expect either are understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment