March 21, 2010

Getting Old. . .Is Starting to Get Old

Pics coming soon. I promise.

Had a wonderful day. Weather here is beautiful. C took less-than-full advantage by spending most of his day at a car dealership. It had to be done. His car had a lot of years and a lot of miles and needed so many repairs, it was ust more cost effective for us to get a new one. Yikes! Can this happen to wives too?!

C and I walked to Yellow Dog for dinner. We both enjoyed a beet salad. I had salmon with mine. C had a beer. I had a glass of excellent sangria.

And then. . .Then came the time of the night for "going out." Now, in my younger days, I would have spent a considerable amount of time and effort preparing to "go out." I did put forth some effort. Those efforts did not go unnoticed. A gal at the bar told me how much she loved my hair (straight, plus bangs. . .that does take effort, no?).

Now the premise of this evening was to catch up with some old and dear friends. Most of them flaked for various reasons. . .And when you're our age, family and work obligations are top priority.

So the group was much more intimate and a tad random. But still good. As I said, weather is beautiful so folks were out in force. Bars were packed.

When I was younger, I could have carried on until the dawn's first light in a crowded bar. This evening all I wanted was to not have to shout to carry on a conversation.

My dear friend L was there. She's married a few years now too. I remember a time when we would throw back Miller Lite bottles until all hours on a work night. Now she lives in PA and has 3 drinks all evening so she can drive home safely. Another friend E, who I see about once a year but who is so smart and so beautiful and lives so close I should see once a week also used to run with the late to bed early to work crowd. Now she owns her own home and spends quiet time there. . .

My feet hurt from the standing. The bar was hot and crowded. There were a bunch of drunk frat-guy types getting cut off and thrown out. I'm too old for this scene!

What I'm not too old for. . .The laughs we always share, the pleasure of spending time with family (brother and sister in law came too), how old friends nearly "instantly" catch up and pick up where they left off. . .A blue on blue oyster shooter (ok two shooters). . .

Next time we do this at Homeeckwreck, in flip flops. . .And we'll still remember "In my younger days I was so bad! Laughin' about all the fun we had."

I guess the moral of this story is, you can still have fun. . .The collateral damages are just bigger. And most of the time, the concept of "fun" no longer revolves around a bar and a display of drunken mayhem.

I have to pass out with my feet in a cool Epsom salt laced foot bath now. . .LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment