November 02, 2009

Return to Harper's Ferry #223



The vista Jefferson said was worth crossing the Atlantic to see. I think if you look hard enough you see something everyday that can be just as inspiring and breathtaking. Most days it's not this obvious. It takes focus and desire and a willing heart.

I have a prayer from Merton plastered just about every place I can so that I see it and read it several times a day because it really resonates with me and I think it helps explain what I'm looking for in a lot of my photography. The painting would be another story. . .It seems to come out angrier and a little more subversive.

Anyway, here's the prayer that helps me keep my cool.

Lord of the loving heart
May mine be loving too
Lord of the gentle heart
May mine be gentle too
Lord of the willing feet
May mine be willing too
So may I grow like you
in all I say and do


I'm not exactly one to tout a bunch of organized religion or "karma" or "life gives you what you can handle" dicta. Life is one big sloppy mess. It's up to you what you glean from it. It's up to you to learn from it. It's up to you.

And that I find pretty powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment