October 25, 2009

Harper's Ferry #28



So I seem to have an issue with snakes. It's not that I'm scared of them. I just seem to unexpectedly and inconveniently happen upon them. I'll save the "nearly peeing on a rattle snake" story for another post. . .

Anyway, when you get to HF, the best thing to do is go to the National Parks Service welcome center, pay your $6, park, and ask a ranger what they suggest for hikes that fit your time frame and skill levels. You can then catch a shuttle bus from the visitor center closer to the "lower town."

C and I did just that. We had already decided we wanted to walk the Virginis Island Trail 'cause it was fast (our time was limited) and it followed the water.

C very wisely forced me to wear sensible sneakers on this adventure. He was right (for once - haha).

So I'm plugging along the trail, feeling the sun begin to warm the brisk air. I'm looking ahead for some good potential pics and I do this trip/stutter type step. It was very instinctive. I just had the slightest hint that I was about to trip or there was something underfoot.

Mind you, I didn't see anything at that moment, nor did I feel anything. In hindsight, it's really strange how many things our brain does without our being consciously aware.

After I do my "trip," I look down and find this fellow quite displeased that I nearly stepped on him. I can see how being stepped on could ruin a sunbath so I forgave his salty demeanor.

Again, I'm very glad C had the good sense to suggest sneakers.

Where C's good sense flew out the window? When he insisted he wanted to "move" the snake off the trail. I spent an entire semester studying vertebrate zoology. But I really only took that class to learn about birds so reptiles, amphibians, fish, and mammals I learned just enough about to pass exams. I had no idea what this snake but suspected cottonmouth and I knew we weren't trying to move it. . .Finally convinced C that he would likely go right back to the same spot.

Whew.


I have been sitting here with my Peterson's Field Guide and I'm not sure what to make of this snake. C was adamant that it was a hog nose snake but I'm not so sure. My initial reaction to that snake was it was a Cottonmouth. But it didn't seem aggressive enough. The only thing I can find that resembles a cottonmouth is a brown water snake. I'm still not sure I'm right. I've been staring at an enlarged pic to see if I can see the "pit" for a venomous snake and I can't see one. As best as I can tell the pupil looks rounded also a trait of non-venomous snake. . . .Oh who the bloody hell knows?! Pls advise if you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment