September 02, 2009

Doubtful, yet curious about Dexter Speaks

Just heard about this new blog called Dexter Speaks.

http://www.dexterspeaks.com/

The author of the Blog is a four year-old Golden doodle named Dexter. Yeeeessss. . .It's written by a dog. But apparently his "BF" helps him keep track of the comments via iPhone. I would imagine an iPhone is rather frustrating to operate if you lack an opposable thumb.

And yeeeesssss. . .I checked it out. (I don't really have that much downtime but I do like to see what others are writing).

I wouldn't want to discourage any one's creativity - entirely. . .But so far, the cutesy nature of the posts were a little off-putting for my tastes (which we all know are deplorable anyway).

I have two dogs. I adore them. But I'm not so disillusioned to think that they refer to me as their "BF." Nor do I think when we take road trips that they have an inner monologue about how much they enjoy being posed in front of historical landmarks of the Midwest.

I know they think more along the lines of "Hand over half your cheese sandwich and no one gets hurt." OR "I'm going to lift my leg and take a 2 minute piss on this nasty sofa because it smells as if 12 other dogs have done the same." That's right I know. I will not divulge any more lest we never have a cottage in Deal Island again! haha!

What is particularly genius about this blog is that the dog can plug any number of commercial products and services. In the two posts I've read - and there aren't too many yet. . .I've seen an endorsement for a dog groomer and a "pet friendly Holiday Inn Express in Utah."

I'm all for supporting companies and products and service providers, (Go Docside Vet http://www.docsidevet.com/!!!)but a Holiday Inn Express? Who is this Dexter? The new John and Kate +8?

Anyway, the other sick err curious thing about Dexter Speaks is that other dogs are posting comments. We've heard from a five year old Lhasa Apso named Brandy and even a few cats. There are more damned domestic animals posting to Dexter in 3 days than humans have posted to this blog in 3 months! This is not meant to sound bitter. I just find it absolutely fascinating.

Dexter has very graciously requested pics of his followers. However, if your pet is under the age of 3, I'd think twice about allowing that as Dexter could be some kind of sick online canine predator. (Yes I figured in "dog years.")

What could Dexter do to get me really excited? Start talking about issues. I'd like to hear his thoughts on Michael Vick. I'd like to see if he visits Best Friends Animal Refuge while he's out west. I'm curious about his position on CAFOs and current agricultural practices. I'd like to see him become a therapy dog. A good start might be a meeting with Bo Obama to discuss the state of things. If any dog can make changes happen, surely it's the President's.

If Dexter moves beyond the novelty of an adorable blogging dog and could start using his "voice" for change or to make other dogs and their "BFs" start thinking about what's really important to domestic animals, then he's on to something.

And just for fun, I'd like to hear him discuss his neutering. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment