August 25, 2009

d's Paper Problem

I have a love affair with paper OR I have an issue with paper. Depends on your perspective. I love things printed on paper. I love keeping coupious amounts of paper - neatly organized and at the ready.

This translates to my art supplies certainly but it also reflects my life long love of reading.

I love thoughts and information in print. Someone cared enough to put pen to paper and share their thoughts or opinions or knowledge. I respect that and believe in keeping certain snippets for myself and others.

Snippets become volumes over the years but I'm pretty selective and organized.

I maintain three-ringed binders for various topics - Idea files, information files. . .recipies, fabric, paints, decorating, housekeeping, lists of books, gift ideas, fashion ideas. .The list goes on.

I guess its another form of scrapbooking or memory keeping or even archiving. Some of it seems stupid since I could surely get info about making a family energency kit off the internet via this blackberry in several seconds but I'm still hooked on print. Lovely, cool paper that quickly warms to the touch.

It also reinforces what I've read once. I see it again as I'm organizing it. I retain something more or different on the second glance.

I'm sure (hopefully a long time from now) when I leave this world, a huge bonfire will be in order. But, these mean something to me and maybe just maybe, my own children will be able to glean something from them. Maybe they'll even tear a few pages for themselves before my flaming farewell!

No comments:

Post a Comment