July 28, 2009

Oh Hell What Now?!

I know. I know. I have issues!

I have an infatuation with eclectic items that still have a hints of tradition and I seem to find inspiration in nature.

A while back, I hand painted wooden eggs to resemble bird eggs and arranged them in a shadow box. It turned out pretty well. So I bought a bunch of shadow boxes. (Do you sense a pattern?). Some were on clearance. . .aka beat up.

That's ok cause I planned to beat them up even more! Here, the finish is too glossy for what I want and it made the knicks stand out too much anyway.

So I'm using some heavy grit sandpaper to rough it up, make it dull, scratched, etc. I'm basically putting some age on this mass produced MDF frame.

A finer grit (if I can find any) will fine tune it and then I'm going to slap some kind of paint on it. Browns with hints of gold leaf maybe?

(PS DIYers, if you're going to paint on this type of finish, you likely need to give it a light sanding regardless so your paint "sticks" to the glossy spray coat)

This frame is 5 by 7. Which could be my IQ after inhaling this paint dust! Who knows what it is? Where is CIH C? Far far away on the third floor. He is very wise indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment