June 14, 2009

Load Testing a Thumb Tack?!

R wisely comments:



How do you know a thumb tack can hold a frame? I'm terrified to try it.


That's an obvious question with no easy answer. There is a certain degree of "gun slinger" mentality necessary.

I'll tell you what I do: I use common sense. If it appears it's going to need several drywall screws and anchors, there's NFW I'm even going to attempt it. If it's valuable or has tremendous sentimental value and I don't want it cracked, chipped, or otherwise harmed, I error on the side of caution and properly mount it.

Once I've determined suitability/potential, I start with a sharp tack. Not one that has the tip slightly bent or anything. I use a hammer to drive the tack into the wall. Sometimes this is positively necessary because I'm hanging something in plaster/lathe and can't get a tack in otherwise. I use it for drywall as well just because it gets me a "clean" penetration.

Sometimes I put the tack in at a 45 degree angle to the wall (esp if I'm going to hang something from ribbon or the frame has one of those little triangular mounting hooks on the back). Other times, I put the tack in at a 90 degree angle.

Once I have the frame on the wall, I do two unscientific (and rather stupid) things: I pound on the wall (with my fist or palm) to see if it the tack gives. If it passes this test I take a step back from the wall and jump up and down furiously to see what kind of result that produces. If it doesn't move then, I fell pretty confident it will stay put. (Clearly we do not live on a tectonic fault line).

NOTES:

1. I suspect one of the reasons this technique works well for me is that most of our walls are the plaster/lathe combination and they seem to have a little more integrity than drywall alone.

2. I've used this technique a lot of times successfully on our walls that are drywall. I've not had anything fall or start sliding down the wall (yet).

3. When you're hammering - or doing any project for that matter that could cause something to get in your eye - don't be stupid, put on eye protection. I've had the plastic on the thumb tacks shatter even with gentle hammering and that plastic is sharp, light, and can fly around with decent force. PROTECT YOUR EYES. As my Ma-Maw has always said "God only gives you one set of eyes."

4. If you want to try, start with an unframed canvas. Unless it's loaded with 10 pounds of heavy bodied paint, you should be able to get that successfully mounted. See how your wall responds.

5. In my office - which has 100% drywall and where I don't keep a stud-finder or drill - I've hung some relatively heavy frames with sharp nails and a j-hook picture hanger. You can get picture hanging kits with assorted sizes for a couple bucks and these might be a better option in certain situations.

6. If you have ANY reservations, do it right: Find a stud or use a drywall screw and anchor(s).


No comments:

Post a Comment