June 19, 2009

Interior Foolishness #57

When I was in middle school or maybe 9th grade, this family moved to town and they purchased this old house on maybe 6th street. Anway, they were great kids and sometimes we would all watch movies at their place or whatever.

They had this bathroom that was positively majestic. I remember going in there with my girlfriends and just sitting on the floor gazing up at the historic fixtures and sconces. . .

At least that's how I remember it. The ceiling could have been crumbling for all I know. But I definitely remember that floor. . .It made quite an impression.

I think the floor and the piano was also why I liked the Conservatory so much in the board game Clue. . .

I digress. . .That's where the floor came from. . .

The tub was my second demand - and it was just that - a demand after 4 years of demolition. We had to have the floor reinforced. I think the thing weighs several hundred pounds full of water. It's cast iron. It's new tho. We considered restoring an old one but price-wise it was a wash.

The tub did not come this color. It's called Cherries Jubilee from Sherwin Williams and I adore it. When I told C the tub had to "pop" and picked up that paint card, he wisely supported me but I knew he was scared to death I was going to ruin a brand new tub.

Oddly, the color is not at all limiting and I've had people tell me they don't even notice the color as "sticking out" or being overwhelming. Exactly. The. Point.

Paint is your friend. As an aside, I've seen people gold or silver leaf entire tubs but it looks tedious as hell and I'm sure you'd have to treat it with something to "water proof" it. This is just good old, high quality glossy latex paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment