May 11, 2009

Years and Lives in Boxes

Today my Mother opened the 'holy grail' of memories: Boxes of slides loaded neatly into cartridges ready for a slide show. Some of the slides pre-dated my arrival by quite a few years and I always wanted to see them. Others painstakingly chronicled my and my sisters' first minutes, hours, and weeks.

Of course the projector and screen are long gone but the slides remain in all their kodachrome magic. The photos are snapshots of people and places and events and memories that can live eternal for generations to come. Technology has made the slide obselete but also offers solutions to keep the memories alive. I am proud to help.

In the sea of a confusing and chaotic world, family and grounding and orientation become a life raft. The older I become, the more dearly I cling to it.

Some of these slides will come to my home to be made into memories for my children and the children of my sisters. (And safely returned to home base of course).

And so on a day when we are to give gifts to ours Mothers for all they are and do, our Mother has once again, given her children a priceless and everlasting gift.

Mom would be embarrassed by all this thought and fawning but luckily for her, she doesn't do computers and likely will never know! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment