May 13, 2009

Lessons from the Little Fellow. . .

So with Bitty Baby Elephant, I was determined to stop the spray adhesive madness. I am currently sporting "Mrs. O'Leary's BBQ" nail polish and didn't want to ruin it with acetone un-gumming.

*Mrs. O'Leary reminds me go give a big shout to friends R&B who recently relocated to Chicago. I WANT to visit ASAP. I NEED your address ASAP-er. . .LOL! But seriously. . .address. now. I promise I won't visit unannounced B!

So here's what I've learn-ned from this project:

1. Heavy paper/card stock works really well. Lighter weight stuff puckers. You can manipulate the puckers but it takes a lot of patience and we all know I am lacking. . .esp. when it comes to manipulating phuckers. . .Who has time?! (I tried that with ex-boyfriends - it never worked out! haha. I adore all of your phuckers to this day. . .)

2. I avoided spray adhesive completely by using a toothpick to apply regular Elmer's glue lightly to the heavy paper to tack it to the canvas.

3. Using almost nearly full-strength Elmer's glue (v. little water -way less than I used the first time) works really well. It's awesome - dries clear.

If you can use scissors, have minimal control with a paintbrush and can afford white non-toxic school glue, you can do this with pretty good results.

Interesting fact about homeeckwreck? I am left-handed but use scissors only right handed. I fondly remember my first pair of left handed safety scissors. I was about 5 and they didn't have the green rubber handles like the ones in pre-school. Rather they had a big LEFTY stamped into the outside of one blade. I got this magical tool a few days before Christmas. I not only cut construction paper for holiday cards. . .I also cut my hair, my brand new Malibu Barbie's hair, and allegedly my sister's hair too.

All went well with my little pair of rounded tip safety scissors for a few years. By 4th or 5th grade, most kids graduated to the sharper-tipped instruments better suited for precision cutting. Finding a LEFTY pair with a point was virtually impossible. We all know I'm to OCD to have a ragged or ripped edge on something unless it's intentional. So I started cutting right handed.

I've never gone back. Right is Right for me in terms of using scissors. I've also cross-trained myself to eat right handed so I'm not throwing elbows at someone at a dinner party.

(If you've ever seen me really hungry, or really excited about a fav food - blue cheese thank you very much, or even seen me in general - you know "throwing elbows at the table" is a relatively accurate description. d likes dinners!!!! And apparently breakfast, lunch, and anything in between given my complete lack of self control lately - healthful living is a marathon not a sprint and I've got to be even more disciplined).

If anyone wants to volunteer to "walk me" or would barter for other services - Self-control-support when I really want that 400 calorie Trader Joe's Sublime Ice Cream Sandwich, etc. please let me know!!! LOL!

3 comments:

  1. Who is Mrs. O'Leary? You can visit anytime. Please come now! I sent you my address in your b-day card. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh nevermind. i get it :) love that color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In case anyone else is confused, Mrs. O'Leary is said to have the cow that kicked over the lantern that started the Chicago fire. I'm not sure if this is an accurate accounting or not. Hoping Rachel can fact-check for us. Love love love Mrs. O'Leary's BBQ but we all know my heart truly belongs to Lincoln Park After Dark. I'll so be to the windy city this fall. . .And I'll have to paint my nails a different color daily! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete