March 08, 2009

The Point of these Posts?

I invited Mother in Law to visit the Blog. I value her opinions and she said that she figured that the blog would be about domestic stuff. She's correct in mentioning that because when I started this whole thing I thought I would be gassing off about how to cook quick healthful vegetarian meals and how to paint a room licketly split. That was indeed the entire premise originally.

Right. Not. I'm extremely busy and I find that I'm not quite the domestic goddess I once was. I come home at 7:30 or 8 to find that C has already made himself a decent dinner. He has the pets under control and sometimes he's even done some laundry, cleaning or otherwise.

There is a special sort of guilt that accompanies coming home to find your husband being domestically in control. At least for me. I work all day, with "the guys" and I can hold my own throwing down drinks, talking sports, politics and economics. Yet I get a lot of pleasure from making C a serious dinner, handing him a cocktail, looking lovely, making sure the sheets are clean (and ironed), etc.

I will admit I'm borderline perfectionist. I try very very very hard to be a lot of things for lots of people and for myself. (guess that also makes me a people pleaser. . .)

I understand I can't be all things to all people all the time. But I still want to do that. I guess that's why it's bittersweet when I see C "fending for himself." I feel a sense of relief because he's just doing it and not complaining that I'm not taking care of him but simultaneously, I want to take care of him.

It makes me happy to take care of my home. I'm trying to get back to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment