January 03, 2010

One Book Down - 59 More to Go

First of all, the weather here is horrific. Freezing cold and extremely windy. This has resulted in my desire to NEVER LEAVE THE HOUSE AGAIN!!!!! Seriously, it's positively frigid and miserable. Don't be fooled by the clear skies. I know I could probably be snapping all sorts of great pics but I'm wholly deterred by the temperatures. Please spring, come soon. . .

Despite staying in my PJs all day yesterday and binging on The Wire season two and holiday cookies, I managed to get through Jen Lancaster's Pretty in Plaid.

I'm not saying "managed" as in the book was miserable. It was quite engaging.

Jen Lancaster writes memoirs. . .clever, easy to read, hilarious, and occassionally poignant memoirs. This, her fourth book, does not disappoint. This book examines events, fashion faux pas, and life lessons learned prior to her first memior Bitter is the New Black.

Jen Lancaster does likely appeal to a female audience. It's not the type of book I could see my Husband or Brother reading. However, there are parts of all of her books that I've read to my Husband, and he does laugh out loud. I suspect he's laughing because they sound like things I've done or pausibly could have done. . .

Which I think is part of her draw: She's like your hysterically funny best friend. Her quest for the perfect handbag, a decent job, and a smaller waistline is recounted in a hilarious banter with enough self awareness to allow the reader to empathasize with her. . .even when she is enaging in some positively ruthless, bad behavior.

I enjoyed this book just as much as the previous three. Go Jen Lancaster!

No comments:

Post a Comment