January 08, 2010

Long Live the Nog!



My love of egg nog was diligently cultivated by my Father. When I became "legal," the infatuation became full on, heavy cream, raw egg, brandy, whiskey, rum, who knows what else is in there (?) lust.

So it only seemed fitting that somewhere in the early to mid-2000's Pops and I started an informal contest: Who can score the nog first? The rules were pretty simple. You had to be the first to get the alcohol-laced (somewhat gross but ok with ice and cinnamon) premixed nog.

Pops and I being the type A psychos we are, would start our quests as early as September - scouring liquor stores, seeking egg nog glory.

Time passed and the competition went by the way-side. Maybe we were sick of egg nog? (Ahahahahaha! As if). Maybe we could no longer one up the other? Was I winning? (Doubtful).

At any rate, egg nog was still a big draw come every Thanksgiving. Even this past Thanksgiving, as Dad was carving the turkey when I arrived, he offered me a glass of egg nog. . .eyes twinkling, mischievous even. . .our "thing."

This evening I went to the liquor store. I'm quite loyal about supporting local merchants and following my brief stay on East Pratt where the "Beer Doctor" would actually deliver adult beverages to my door, I've been frequenting the same liquor store for at least nine years.

The parking lot was packed - as always on a Friday evening. I got the usual and went to the register. This is a Mom and Pop operation although they appear to do a sick business. At the register this evening was a lady I see infrequently. I think she might own the place? She doesn't work the register often. In fact, I can't tell you the last time I saw her.

We exchange pleasantries (she remembers my name - they all know my name. Love, love, love local merchants) and then she says, "How is your Dad?"

Huh?

d: Actually, my Father passed away.
LL (Liquor Lady): I'm sorry when?
d: December 19
LL: Was he ill?
d: Gives the cliff's notes version
LL: Well I always think of him when I see you. Your egg nog competition and all.
d well of course, I had to explain why I was asking for egg nog in August
d: He passed young.
LL: My Dad passed when he was 63.
d: I have no regrets though. We had a great relationship.
LL: I could tell you shared something special with your Father.
d: So funny you asked about him this evening.
LL: Maybe he's thinking about you?
d: He should know he left me with a LOT of egg nog to drink.

Laughs all around. . .

1 comment:

  1. i love how you have candy by the liquor. my 2 greatest vises. i feel this comment is fraught with spelling errors. too mmuch liquor....and candy....

    ReplyDelete