November 23, 2009

Closet Art Part II

I love the artistic process. I'm not necessarily good at it but I like how it makes my mind work.

I endeavored to sketch/paint a simple white shirt on a blank six by eight inch canvas panel. I did this rapidly - it took about 20 minutes all in.

What took longer? What happened after the fact? My analysis of what I created. The shirt morphed into a symbolic representation of life.

Perhaps you just see a shirt, painted with little regard for shadow, technique or artistic eye.

That's okay. Art is about feelings and interpretation. Anytime you create, you are sharing a piece of yourself. You offer a bit of yourself for others to view and analyze.

It's a terrifying and exhilariating experience. It doesn't come easily for me - being vulnerable on such a visceral level. However, without sharing, thoughts, ideas, creations lose their power, their magic. . .and without power, vision, and magic the world is reduced to a cruel exercise in survival.

I don't have some crazy idea that I'm a great artist but I do believe in sharing my attempts and encouraging others to do likewise.

I've never thought about this before, but if you want to submit your arts and crafts, I will post them and I will randomly select one to receive a $50 donation to the charity of your choice. I will also pick two "runners up" who will get $25 each to their fav charity.

Please keep your entries PG-13. Please post a comment indicating your interest and I'll get you info about how you can forward me your material.

Give of yourself and give back. How fun! As Katz says, "Send your signal to the world." I can't wait!!

No comments:

Post a Comment