August 13, 2010

PARTY!!! Part I

Thursday marked the evening of what my Father would have started celebrating of his 63rd birthday. (I'm alive. I'm alive! He started screaming that at 40).

He used to tell me with a smirk and a twinkle in his eye, "Aw dl, how did these sons of a bitches get so old?" After class reunions and so forth.

His birthday is Monday. We have a big day planned. I'll keep you posted.

In the meantime, I'm up late listening to Buffett playing Starlake in Pittsburgh earlier this evening. I swear, Pops joined a few bands when he kicked it. He seems to have all of our fave songs played.

Or perhaps we just had a lot of favorite songs?

We did have a lot of favorite songs. We shared a lot of favorite songs. We shared a lot of favorite books, and stories, and dreams. We shared a lot of challenges too.

I can only smile thinking about our marathon Friday night telephone discussions when I was older. Thinking about our Saturday morning cartoon and pancake breakfast and snooze when I was a kid. Thinking about every moment we spent.

I'm certainly going to miss him screaming "Touchdown State" into my answering machine come this fall. (Ah dl they tied it up!! Touchdown State!!! Here we go Lions, Here we go!!!!)

But it will forever make me smile. He did good.

So many happy memories. And I'd like to say he created some kinda' lovely princess of a daughter and yet. . .

From earlier this evening a text I sent:

"Don't pick friends that will suck u dry. A heart is like a vagina - too much random shit in there and it gets all crusty and u end up uncomfortable and frustrated."

I sound EXACTLY like my Father.

And you wonder why I have tears in my eyes?!

No comments:

Post a Comment