September 19, 2009

Say What?

So I'm waiting for my nail polish to dry sitting around watching some stupid reality show on TLC called Toddler in Tiaras.

Couple of observations:

First of all last time I checked TLC stood for The Learning Channel. There's not a snow-ball's chance this show is educational. This is borderline erotica for pedophiles.

The show follows kids - little kids - while they compete in beauty pageants. I've never been a big fan of pageants and clearly this show is skewed to show the most exaggerated position possible.

The fake tans, fake teeth, and fake hair. . .Are they necessary for a five-year old? I'm of the opinion no. If their mother's would rather purchase fake teeth and ridiculous costumes as opposed to saving that money for their education who am I to care? (Oh wait, when they become Miss America, surely they will get a scholarship and all of that stage-Mommy stuff will really pay off).

However, I can see that in moderation the competitions could help with self esteem and learning life lessons.

At any rate, here's what absolutely floored me. There was a judge or pageant host named Cheryl Powers discussing the swimsuit competition. (This isn't a direct quote but it's close enough) "We allow two piece suits. We allow full piece suits. We do not allow thongs. It's just really hard to pull off a perfect body in a thong."

Huh? Perfect body? Never mind the fact that these girls are FIVE YEARS OLD and have no business parading around in a thong!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment