July 05, 2009

The Night I Painted the Sky

I realize it's not a popular stance with many of my peers but I've used Jimmy Buffett as a crutch for the better part of my life. . .

Long before that crazy-popular-with-the-masses song screaming about "It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere" and long after the novelty of "Why Don't We Get Drunk and Screw?" wore off. . .I discovered his wild imagination. . .He writes beautifully. . .

He's not exactly the best technical musician or singer you'll ever encounter but he is one hell of a story teller and that goes a long way with me.

Don't get me wrong, I don't listen to him every day. I don't read him every day.

But he is my fall back release valve. If I have a horrific week at work, I put on a little "Hot Water" and read a few dog-earred pages from one of his books.

I know it seems ridiculous as I'm supposed to be a hedonistic child of the 80s and I'm def not a Boomer. . .Still Buffett as a story teller provides a sufficient amount of escapism.

So it seems fitting that on the 5th of July, prob after everyone else has nearly forgotten what this holiday is all about, when I'm fretting about how I can do more, better I'm listening to Buffett. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment