June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day!!!

This pic is tremendously important to my Father and me. I was standing in a tangle of poison ivy. Dad yelled for me to get out. I was otherwise involved. And as soon as he yelled, it became a battle of wills. This was my first memorable act of defiance. I was three years old.

Discussed this pic with Dad. . .He's terribly allergic to poison ivy. He knew he couldn't come in after me. . .I knew I was exactly where I wanted to be.

And so it goes with fathers and daughters. . . .

Dad's always want to help their little girls and at some point, their little girls no longer need saving. For me it happened in a poison ivy tangle at the age of three, and again about thirteen in a red Corvette, and again nearly a decade later in a cabrio convertible. . .until finally My Father and I found ourselves together at sunset, in his corvette convertible.

And at that moment, I realized then more than ever he wasn't "saving" me. He wasn't the knight on a white horse. I wasn't his princess.

He was better. I was more.

He is my best friend. My Dad.

And I'm sorry I was so stubborn.

Yet somehow, I think he appreciates it.

No comments:

Post a Comment