March 16, 2009

What's Cookin?


Had an opportunity to leave work a little early today and jumped on it. Things have been pretty stressful and while I've taken a couple of sick days, I haven't had a day off yet so far this year as best as I can recall.


This allowed me to have dinner nearly ready for C when he walked in the door. Typically, he's home almost two hours before me and is fending for himself. Made "shrimp cakes." This was a first and while it didn't exactly take long, it was another glaring reminder of why maybe we do need a food processor. . .The blender works but it's not the same.


Shrimp cakes with jalapenos and orange zest. . .Slaw. . .Fresh "salsa" salad and a few tortillas. C is about to dig in. . .We'll see if the extra time off work was worth it or if I should have just stopped at Baja Fresh. . .He says they're great! Yeah. Not sure if they garner his "permenant rotation" designation. (That's when C likes a dish so much he wants it made routinely).
I guess it's basically a kicked up coddie. . .Not really deep fried tho. . .Just browned in some olive oil. You could make it with almost any sort of fish or seafood. It was fast, esp since I used pre-cut slaw and just shredded extra carrots into it. We like fast and healthful.
Reading a fascinating book call In Defense of Food - Maybe I'll gas off about that later. It basically supports what we all know: Eat mostly plants, simply prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment